Nzambi Matee is considered one of the young champions of the earth due to her contribution to conservation in Kenya. She has discovered a way to make bricks out of plastic, which is an amazing innovation. Throwaway plastic bags are worthless but they represent a huge pollution issue in Africa and elsewhere. Nzambi has literally learned to make something out of nothing. Furthermore, she has found a solution that will help to build Africa up rather than seeing it being torn down.
Nzambi Matee, a young champion
Whoever thought of plastic pavers and bricks? But this is the idea Nzambi Matee had. Today, she is the founder of Gjenge Makers Limited Company and has received a Young Champions of the Earth Award from the UN Environment Programme. She wasn’t prepared to sit by on the sidelines and do nothing. No, she had a vision to solve Africa’s massive waste problem. Where companies would pay for plastic disposal she turned it into an income-generating opportunity. She is now an inspiration not only to many young Kenyans but to entrepreneurs worldwide.
Now her story is being shared widely in the news with reports such as Kenyan recycles plastic waste into bricks stronger than concrete. And here are just a few comments from social media.
- “Stories like this renew my faith in humanity and the future of the planet.” – Julie
- “Champion this entrepreneur! I want hundreds of companies like this in every country!” – Tom.
- “Love seeing the progress. Praying for each step of the project. Love your smile and your determination. May God continue to walk with you.”
- “You’re brilliant!!! Your story has uplifted me today. How incredible you and your team are!!” – Natalie.
- “People like you are what we need to clean the environment. Your plastic to brick product; giving jobs to people and enthusiastic spirit; are a blessing from God.” – Ley.
It’s amazing how creative Nzambi is and furthermore, she has a heart to inspire others. Not only is she an innovative entrepreneur, she is also a passionate “dancer, physicist, changemaker and future African leader!”
What business start up idea do you have in mind? Start today with what you have now. Don’t despise the day of small beginnings. Make a decision to move away from the sidelines and move ahead with your bright idea. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.